U.S. Awards & Honors
Major U.S. Awards:
- 2009 Astellas USA Foundation Award from American Chemical Society for contributions toward mitigating the arsenic crises around the world through application of chemistry and chemical engineering principles.
- 2009 Lawrence K. Cecil Award from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) for outstanding contributions in the field of environmental engineering .
- 2008 National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) Sustainability Award for Community Based Arsenic Removal Systems in Remote Villages of Cambodia in South East Asia.
- One of the five 2008 Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement (OCEA) projects by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). (Arsenic Crisis in the Indian Subcontinent: Sustainable Engineering Solution)
- 2007 Grainger Prize Award from the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) for providing sustainable engineering solution for arsenic-contaminated drinking water in the Indian subcontinent.
- 2001 Frontier Research Award from the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) and Malcolm Pirnie Inc.
- 2001 Professional Research Award from the Pennsylvania Water Environment Association (PWEA).
- 1999 Industrial Ecology Fellowship Award from the National Science Foundation(NSF) and Lucent Technologies.
- 1995 Eleanor and Joseph Libsch Award from Lehigh University for outstanding achievement in research.
- 1996 USANC Founders’ Award as the US Author of the best paper published in Water Research Journal during 1995 calendar year.
- 1994 Rudolph Hering Medal (Best research paper in J.Env.Eng.Div) Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- 1993 Best Paper Award published in AWWA Jour. from the Research Division of the American Waterworks Association (AWWA)
Graduate Student Research Paper Awards:
2010 C. Ellen Gonter graduate student paper award to Prasun K. Chatterjee from the Environmental Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society. Prasun K. Chatterjee and Arup K. Sengupta, "Sensing of Toxic Metals Through pH Changes: Concept and Experimental Validation" AIChE Jour. (2009). Vol.55, 11, 2997-3004.
2006 outstanding graduate student paper award to John E. Greenleaf from the Environmental Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society. Greenleaf, J.E. and SenGupta, A.K. “Environmentally Benign Hardness Removal Using ion Exchange Fibers and Snowmelt”, Environ. Sci. Technol. (2006), 40, 370-376.
1999 outstanding graduate student paper award to Ping Li from the Environmental Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society. Li, P. and SenGupta, A.K. “Genesis of Selectivity and Reversibility for Sorption of Synthetic Aromatic Anions onto Polymeric Sorbents”, Environ. Sci. Technol. (1998), 32, 23, 3756-3766.
1993 Graduate Research Award to Yuewei Zhu from the Separations Division of American Institute of Chemcial Engineers (AIChE). Zhu, Y. and SenGupta, A.K., "Sorption enhancement of some hydrophilic organic solutes through polymeric ligand exchange," Environ. Sci. Technol. (1992), 26, 10, 1990-98.
Honors and Recognitions:
North American Editor, "Reactive and Functional Polymers Jour." Elsevier Science (from 1996-2006). (The impact factor of the journal became well over 1.0 during SenGupta’s tenure as the editor).
Editior: Ion Exchange & Solvent Extraction: Series of Advances, Marcel Dekker, Inc. (since 2000).
2007 Hillman Graduate Student Advising Award from Lehigh University